The Bishop Davies Nursing Center rehabilitation staff includes two of the leading Speech Pathologists in the DFW metropolitan area who provide Speech Therapy treatments to patients on an inpatient and outpatient basis.
Speech Therapy offers comprehensive evaluation and treatment for individuals who have developed speech, swallowing, or cognitive problems after experiencing an injury or illness. Individual treatment programs are developed for each patient based on their needs and the type of problem they are experiencing.
It is the goal of Speech Therapy to provide the following for patients:
- Restore functional communication skills
- Facilitate safe oral feeding/swallowing
- Educate patient and families on compensatory strategies and home programs.
- Aid in the facilitation of strong and clear vocal qualities for communicating individual wants and needs
During the treatment phase of Speech Therapy, the following treatments are provided, as needed and directed by the therapist:
- Receptive Language Therapy (listening and reading)
- Expressive Language Therapy (speaking and writing)
- Speech Production Therapy
- Cognitive Therapy (memory, problem solving, reasoning)
- Assistive Communication Devices
- Modified Barium Swallow Studies
- Nutritional Counseling
- Patient/Family Education
Certified Speech-language Pathologists work with patients with the following conditions:
- Cognitive Deficits
- Swallowing Disorders
- Laryngeal/Esophageal Cancer
- Oral Apraxia
- Voice Disorders
To learn more about the Speech Language Pathologists who are part of the Rehab Staff at Bishop Davies Nursing Center, click here to request more information.